Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Everything I've ever wanted and more!

I still love my tattoo. I am still madly in love with Amsterdam. It's lovely.

I am up in the wee hours of the morning to use the computer. Sarah & Blair are leaving at 3pm today, so we are all planning to gather at 9am for breakfast and a canal ride. We tried to take a canal ride last night, but it was an expensive dinner cruise.

So, I'm not exactly sure what day it is. I think it's Thursday now. On Tuesday, we went to the Anne Frank house! My cousin Katie told me it was overrated, but I went anyway. It was alright. It was cool that we finally went to do something, and I'm glad I got to see it. There was a massive line to get in and you have to follow the crowds of people inside of the museum. Nick is obviously just as impatient as me because neither one of us examined anything that required you to wait for the crowd to finish looking at it first.

We were walking a lot. Oh yeah, I also fell down in the middle of the street, flat on my face. Then I started crying because I was embarrassed. Nick bought me bandages and held on to me why I tried to fight away my tears. It didn't even hurt that bad, but I was feeling like the dumb stoner American.

One thing we're learning from visiting certain areas is that some groups of locals don't like us out here. They aren't throwing stones at our heads or anything, but they make it very clear we're not welcome.

Nick and I walked around looking for food yesterday morning. We kept walking down the same street, and we wound up really far away. I think we decided to walk back down another street, and we finally found something!!! This place had nachos too! Everywhere near town, it's pizza, falafel, or fries. Or candy or baked goods or sandwiches. I guess that's a lot to choose from, but those places are everywhere!

Nick & I had to wash some laundry yesterday. We found this place down an alley. The sign said to get the key from Hotel Continental across the street. Nick immediately ran across the big street. When he was just far enough away for me to call out to him, I looked up and the store across from me. It wasn't a store at all; it was the Hotel he was looking for across the street! Ha! I felt so bad watching my husband run around across the street looking for this place that was right in front of me. I wanted to run after him, but you can't leave your stuff for even a moment in this busy down.

So we got the key, went in the laundromat, and realized there was no place to buy soap in there. Nick went out looking for what felt like an hour! Then we sat in there for about two more hours while our laundry was washed.

Some kid came into the laundry room. He looked so young, but he is probably at least in his 20's....which makes me feel pretty old in a really weird way. :| Anyway, he was from Canada & his job is to travel to specific places to take videos and pictures of these people racing snowmobiles. He is going to Sweden next. He took a pit stop in Amsterdam because one of his friends told him it was like the Las Vegas of Europe (which is a pretty accurate description, to be honest). He didn't have to pay for his flight or anything, and he will be here for 8 more days! Talk about living the life! And he's so young. I hope we see him again while we're out here. He seemed like a cool guy.

I am going to miss Sarah and Blair after they leave tomorrow. Karen will be leaving the next day. I need to get ahold of my cousin because we might be taking the train to visit her before we leave, and she mentioned something about coming down here to go clubbing or something. I'm so not a clubbing girl, but I will try anything once in Amsterdam. ;) Maybe.

We have been having the best time. I think Nick and I will probably get more serious about sightseeing now that the party is clearing out. There are still quite a few things that I really have to see!

Enough babbling!!! Let's post some pictures!

The preparation of our breakfast on Tuesday:


This was so good! Turkish sausage with eggs and cheese and a baguette and a small salad and sauce and ketchup. *drools*


Nick & Anne Frank:


Well, this one pretty much speaks for itself






We don't even know what that monument is. Maybe we'll find out someday.


Mmm, space cake. THE most delicious and awesome. It comes from Home Grown Fantasy.


Very beautiful statue in the Sexmuseum:


My pizza..it was delicious, but it would have been so much better if the ricotta was goat cheese!


Kitty at another bar:

1 comment: